Monday, December 15, 2008

A Week in Washington D.C. (part 3)

Mike and I loved our week together in Washington D.C. I enjoyed spending afternoons in the art museums and Smithsonians, but I also loved being surrounded by history and the leaders of our nation. The White House
Statue honoring William Sherman facing the Treasury Department
The Washington Monument

The United States Capitol

As we were walking past the Capitol, we noticed a mob forming in front of the building with a continual stream of people carrying signs marching towards the capital to join them. Police cars and policemen on bikes and horseback began showing up, and we stopped to listen as the mob began to chant about equal rights protesting proposition 8. It looked like a lot of college students looking for some excitement, but there were also many people wearing their rainbow colors proudly. We decided to depart before one of them asked us if we supported prop 8, at which point I would have to proclaim that I did soon to follow a beating of some sort.

Mike and I weren't prepared for the cold weather and practically froze to death walking from the Capitol to dinner.
I loved the Library of Congress. The ceiling and walls were beautifully designed. I was sad when our week ended and it was time to go home. I was excited to see my kids, but I have definitely missed the alone time! I hope Mike and I get away for another week before another 9 years pass.

3 comments:

Tiff and Chris said...

Oh, the Library of Congress--so beautiful! I love the new picture on your blog-your little kiddos are so adorable.

Stiles Family-mostly Kristen said...

Great pictures. You both look just wonderful. I'm glad you had a good time here in the East! It's also great to have alone time:)!

Barlow Fam said...

Hey, just saw the photo of your kids in front of the Christmas tree. I thought it was adorable.

Mike B

Corpus Christi